A few years ago a very good friend of mine who knows of my addiction, errr I mean my joy, towards cookbooks, gave me an amazing book. It's called 'Cookies For Christmas'.
The book is American and not published over here at all, so I have no idea where she bought it, online maybe. Therefore the measurements are all American, so the stateside bloggers will love it ! If you would like to try and find it, it is written by Jennifer Darling for Better Homes & Gardens (a magazine ?).
Here is one of the recipes. I thought it would be good for Halloween as they are orange and round, and you can maybe pretend they are eyes or something equally gory...
They do also make a lovely present given in a pretty gift box.
1 cup Butter (soft)
3/4 cup Icing Sugar (sifted) (powdered sugar in the US)
1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel (keep these 2 peel piles separate)
1 tablespoon Orange Juice
2 2/3 cups Plain Flour (all purpose in US)
3/4 cup white granulated Sugar
1. In a big mixing bowl beat the butter until soft and fluffed.
2. Add the icing sugar and beat then together until they are well combined.
3. Beat in the orange juice.
4. Beat in the flour bit by bit until it is all completely combined, including 1 tablespoon of the orange peel with the last of the flour.
5. Shape the dough into 1 1/4 inch balls.
6. Place the balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking tray.
7. Cook in an oven heated to 325F for 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are just lightly browned.
8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor if you have one, a strong arm with muscles and a bowl if you don't, combine the 3/4 cup of white granulated sugar and the 2 teaspoons of orange peel. Beat/blend until this is totally combined. This really is better in a blender if possible.
10. While the cooked cookies are still a bit warm, roll them in the sugar mixture and place them on a wire rack to totally cool.
It is possible to buy edible gold glitter. This can be added to the blended granulated sugar and orange peel that you roll the balls in. They then look like glitter balls !
Great also for Christmas food...