I basically turn into a she-devil at Halloween !!!
I love all the dressing up and having fun
I love the fact that adults let loose and have fun too and act like kids
So this year I will transform myself into a witch as usual and deck the cottage out with candles and pumpkins, dour music, witches broom and ghosts hanging from the trees....
And of course I will make a load of little cakes and cookies for the very few visiting kiddies who dare to walk up my drive and knock on the door.... Some years none come, and others maybe 2 or 3 carloads. It's usually by appointment as they like to check I will be there and 'performing'. Hmmmm
So to start off Halloween week - a really nice Pumpkin Soup recipe, Curried Pumpkin Soup. It contains coconut milk which I adore in anything (almost) !
Freezes great so you can make tonnes from all those HUGE pumpkins from the supermarkets (or your garden ?), and have great spooky lantern faces on the lawn !
Curried Pumpkin Soup
2 lbs Pumpkin flesh
2 tablespoons Butter
2 Onions (finely chopped)
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1.5 tablespoons fresh Ginger Root (peeled and minced)
2 teaspoons ground Cumin
1 teaspoon ground Coriander
1.5 teaspoons Sea Salt
3/4 teaspoon ground dried Chili flakes
7 cups of Water
1.5 cups good Chicken Stock (or Vegetable stock for vegetarians)
1 can Coconut Milk (14 oz can)
1. In a large saucepan, heat the butter until melted and saute the onions until soft (about 5 minutes).
2. Add the garlic and the ginger, and keep cooking for another 1 minute, remembering to stir now and then.
3. Add the cumin and coriander and stir it all well to blend things properly in together.
4. Add the sea salt, the chili flakes, the water and the stock, as well as the coconut milk. Mix it all in well and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
5. Puree the soup until it's smooth, either using a powerful hand blender (this is my way of doing it as less washing up), a normal blender or a food processor.
6. This soup can be eaten straight away, or will last for 1 day in the fridge. Otherwise you will need to freeze it.