I have been making this chutney for several years now... It really is quite yummy, and different.
Apricot & Walnut Chutney
3 lbs fresh Apricots or 1 lb of dried Apricots
1 lb Onions (chopped)
1.5 pints Cider Vinegar
2 Garlic Cloves (chopped and crushed)
Zest of 2 oranges (just the orange outer surface, not the white pith)
1 lb demarera Sugar
8 oz Raisins
8 oz Walnuts
1.5 teaspoons Sea Salt
1 teaspoon English Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Allspice powder
1. If using dried apricots, put them in water overnight to swell, then drain and chop them up.
2. If using fresh apricots, halve them, remove the stone and chop them up roughly, but not too big.
3. Boil the chopped onions for a few minutes until just soft. Then drain them.
4. Put all the ingredients (apart from the walnuts) into a large preserving pan. Bring it to the boil.
5. Once boiling, turn down the heat and simmer gently, stirring often. Simmer for about 1.5 hours, or until it is thick and jammy. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the walnuts (very roughly chopped) and stir them in.
7. Pour, whilst hot, into sterilised jars and seal straight away.
This will make about 6 lbs.