Welcome To Wild Cottage

Recipes, wild food, natural remedies, organic gardening, Irish music, eating and thoughts on life in general

Thursday 4 February 2010

Pork & Sausage Casserole

Yesterday my friend John came over to continue to help me build my raised beds in the polytunnel. He is stronger than me and better with pieces of wood...

I decided to make a pork and sausage casserole for dinner - a kinda cross between a French cassoulet and a Spanish stew... but with no beans and no peppers and with fresh chives !

I took some photos as I was making it. I measured nothing, more just threw things in as I thought of them... so here it is -

Pork & Sausage Casserole
1 Pork Tenderloin (called pork steak in Ireland) chopped in small cubes
1 pack Sausages (any kind - I used skinless ones, but pork and herb sausages would be heavenly) - chopped
1 Onion - sliced
4 medium Mushrooms - chopped into decent hunks
2 x 290ml jars Tomato Pasta Sauce (I used my own homemade sauce from my own veggies - containing tomatoes, basil, garlic and onions all blended smooth and stored for the winter in glass jars LINK TO RECIPE HERE)
3 tablespoons fresh Chives - chopped small
Sea salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1. Throw the chopped pork and sausages into an ovenproof casserole dish.

2. Add the olive oil.



3. Toss in the pasta sauce and stir well in to coat the meat. Homemade pasta sauce recipe click here

4. Add in the chopped chives.



5. Toss in the sliced onions.



6. Bung in the mushrooms as well.

7. Stir it all in together, adding the salt and pepper. Mix well.




8. Shove the covered dish in the oven !


10. Slide in a few whole potatoes in their jackets (skins).
11. Bake the whole lot for 1.5 hours at 180C.
12. Tell everyone how hard it was to make and try not to smile too much...

No comments:

Post a Comment