Welcome To Wild Cottage

Recipes, wild food, natural remedies, organic gardening, Irish music, eating and thoughts on life in general

Tuesday 29 December 2009

Super Fast Scrummy Chocolate Mousse & the Delectable Nigella Lawson

Two things happened in the last couple of days.

First I watched Nigella Lawson on some channel on my newly connected Sky TV (well reconnected as my TV went kaput about 18 months ago and I cancelled my Sky contract then obviously... and haven't had TV since - until a friend recently loaned me a small one).

And second I have been invited to a New Year's Eve party/dinner and I have agreed to do a couple of desserts to help my friend out.

So, having watched the gorgeous Nigella (thank gawd I'm not male or I'd never have remembered this recipe) whip up a super fast and yummy chocolate mousse, I decided to use this recipe for my friend's dinner party.

Hmmm if you are reading this and have also been invited - SHHHHHHHHHHH - Don't you dare tell !

Nigella Lawson's Express Super Fast Chocolate Mousse

150 g Marshmallows (Mini ones are easier and faster if you can get them)
50 g Unsalted Butter (softened)
250 g Dark Chocolate chopped (preferably over 70% cocoa solids content) (chocolate drops or callebaut is faster, rather than chopping a bar of chocolate)
60 ml Hot Water (from a recently boiled kettle)
284 ml Double Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1. Cut up all the marshmallows into a heavy, good saucepan. If you bought mini marshmallows they can go in whole.

2. Add the softened butter and the chocolate pieces.

3. Add the water from the kettle.

4. Put the saucepan on a ring to heat, gently. Stir it now and then to make sure that everything is mixed smoothly.

5. Take the saucepan off the heat.

6. Whip the double cream with the vanilla extract until it is nice and thick.

7. Add the whipped cream to the chocolate mix in the cooling saucepan, folding it in gently so as not to loose too much of the volume, until its nice and smooth again.

8. Spoon into the serving dishes.

9. Place in the fridge for 3 hours to set.

Another advantage of this recipe is that it has no raw eggs and is therefore very safe for certain groups, such as pregnant mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment