It's a true comfort food, especially at this time of year. Both my Mother and my grandmother used to make it - perfectly !
Yesterday I had wanted to go for another walk to see the floods on the other side of me - but the clouds were dark and low in the sky, and it rained on and off all day. In a word it was dreary and nasty.
OK that's two words...
I stayed in and made bread and butter pudding.
Bread & Butter Pudding
8 slices white Bread (you can leave the crusts on as long as they aren't too hard)
2 ozs Sultanas
2.5 ozs Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 pint Milk
1. Butter the slices of bread on one side.
2. Cut the bread into fingers.
3. Place the fingers in layers into a well greased ovenproof dish. After each layer sprinkle some sultanas before putting the next layer on.
It will look like this when you have them all in the dish.
4. Next heat the milk to boiling point.
5. In a bowl beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract together well.
6. When the milk is just boiling, pour it over the beaten egg mixture and beat it in well.
The beaten mixture will look like this.
8. Leave it to soak right in for at least 30 minutes.
Have a cup of tea...