I was out this afternoon picking more blackberries, some for yesterday's Spiced Blackberries recipe, and some to store in the freezer for the winter. I use them to make Blackberry and Apple Crumbles, Blackberry & Apple Sauce, wine, cordials, syrups and also to just sprinkle on desserts.
I also like to make Blackberry Dumplings.
I guarantee if you make these, you will be addicted !
4 ozs fresh Blackberries
1 medium Bramley Apple (or other cooking apple)
4 ozs self-raising Flour
1 oz Butter
1/4 pint Water
A pinch of Sea Salt
Granulated white Sugar
Some cold Milk
1. Wash the blackberries carefully, so as not to loose any juice.
2. Peel and core the apple. Cut it into quarters, so that you have 4 pieces.
3. Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, and using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour, until you have the texture of breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in 3 level teaspoons of white sugar.
5. Stir in about 4 tablespoons of cold milk, until you have a soft dough.
6. Divide the dough into 4 lumps on a floured surface.
7. Take a piece of the apple and mould one of the dough lumps around it. Make sure that the apple is totally covered.
8. Dissolve 1 tablespoon of white sugar in the 1/4 pint of water in a medium saucepan.
9. Add the blackberries to the pan and bring it to the boil gently.
10. Place the apple dumplings on top of the blackberries, cover the pan and simmer for 25 minutes.
11. DO NOT remove the lid for the first 15 minutes. This is very important.
12. Put one dumpling on a serving dish for each person (4 dishes). Spoon the blackberries over each dumpling.
13. Double cream poured on the side just about finishes this off !