Welcome To Wild Cottage

Recipes, wild food, natural remedies, organic gardening, Irish music, eating and thoughts on life in general

Friday 11 September 2009

Traditional Wholemeal Soda Bread Recipe

I was at a friend's house yesterday and made some soda bread for the family. Unfortunately the oven I used there burnt everything on the bottom ! But the rest of the bread was ok... just a solid bottom.

Never mind... I know a good cook shouldn't blame her tools, but it really wasn't my fault !!

I thought I would share my recipe. It's very old and basic. So if you want the real thing, don't change anything, apart from maybe use 100% wholemeal flour as many years ago that's all normal people would have had.

Especially don't use baking power instead of baking (or bread) soda. The bread will taste yukky and metallic, and really isn't good.

Personally I prefer it 50/50 with the flours. Having said that soda bread isn't my favourite as I'm a yeast bread fan myself, or nan bread, or pitta bread MMMM.

Wholemeal Soda Cake (Bread)

2 cups Stoneground Wholemeal Flour
2 cups plain White Flour
1 teaspoon Baking (bread) Soda
1 pinch Salt
1.5 cups Buttermilk (Sour Milk is available in the states I think)

1. Heat the oven to 400F, 200C or gas mark 6.

2. Mix the 2 flours, the salt and the bread/baking soda in a large bowl.

3. Make a well in the middle (a hole) and pour in the buttermilk.

4. Stir in and mix very well. Until you have a good thick dough, but not wet.

5. Flour a work surface and put the dough on it.

6. Make the dough into an even circle. Flatten to about 1.5 to 2 inches thick and about 6 to 8 inches diameter.

7. Using a knife, cut a deep cross across the middle from side to side.

8. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes.

9. Remove from the oven and wrap in a clean towel. Cool in the towel for 5 to 6 hours.

Eat !!!

My fav would be with unsalted butter and smooth blackcurrant jam... or marmalade. Oh my.

In case you are wondering why no baking powder, the action of the acidic buttermilk (sour milk) on the bread soda releases the leavening carbon dioxide, and that is all you need to raise the soda cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment