Welcome To Wild Cottage

Recipes, wild food, natural remedies, organic gardening, Irish music, eating and thoughts on life in general

Saturday 12 September 2009

Sausages, Mashed Potato and Onion Gravy

Wow more sunshine and pale blue skies ! Miracles can happen after all...

I am pottering in the garden on and off. I have a wonderful, very light and easy to hold Bosch battery strimmer which is perfect for me and my rheumatoid arthritis, as I can no longer pull start my petrol mower or brush cutter. The only problem is the battery lasts about 20 to 30 minutes and then takes 3 hours to charge ! So on my (very long) wish list are 4 more battery chargers and batteries... However, at least the battery running out means I rest like I am meant to, much to my frustration.

Yesterday I bought some sausages and bacon from The Friendly Farmer at Kinvara farmer's market. He is there every week and rears all his animals the old fashioned way with free range 'strip' grazing. He uses no chemicals and the absolute minimum of medications. He also uses mostly old traditional breeds, which are hardy and have much more taste (more fat yes as this is natural etc and you can always cut it off).

Tonight I am going to cook his sausages (80% pork) and eat them with some mashed potatoes and onion gravy.




Mmmmmmmmmmm.

News Flash

Next week Ronan has promised to 'pose' for me and this blog... so watch this space and be introduced to the 'real' Ronan, The Friendly Farmer, on location at Kinvara farmer's market...

Sophii's Mashed Potato

6 medium Potatoes
2 oz salted Butter
1 Egg
Dribble of Milk
Freshly ground Black Pepper

1. Peel, chop and cook the potatoes until they are cooked fully.

2. Drain the potatoes and return them to the warm saucepan.

3. Add the butter, raw egg, a dash of milk (be very careful not to put too much milk), and a good grinding of black pepper.

4. Mash the potatoes with the other ingredients until it is all totally smooth and creamy.

5. Don't panic about the egg being raw. A. I use only local organic, free range eggs, and I know the farmer, so I know they are ok. B. When in with the hot potatoes and mashed, the egg cooks fast anyway.

I personally am not fond of salt, and never add it to anything apart from on very rare occasions. This mash is perfect without adding salt, especially as you have used salted butter. Try it please, before you add extra salt, you will be very surprised.

Onion Gravy

Gravy
Onions
Olive Oil

1. Peel, slice and fry the onions in the olive oil until clear, browning and starting to go sweet and caramelised.

2. Make your gravy as normal (either from scratch or the instant Bisto kind).

3. Add the onions to the gravy and serve with the sausages and mash !

Disclaimer !
The writer is not responsible for the readers of this blog getting fat...

No comments:

Post a Comment