Welcome To Wild Cottage

Recipes, wild food, natural remedies, organic gardening, Irish music, eating and thoughts on life in general

Sunday 27 September 2009

Chicken & Tomato Casserole

My Sunday has been fairly relaxed and easy compared to the last few weeks. Life is beginning to get back to some semblance of normal...

Normal for me that is.

This evening I made a Chicken and Tomato Casserole, adapted from a recipe I found in a hurry this afternoon on the net. MM came to concrete in some fence posts for me over by the barn and stables, and in exchange I baked him some bread and cooked dinner. The casserole is made completely from what I call 'store cupboard' foods, and is very easy to make and cook.

The chicken I used was from SuperValu and cost me just €1.48 as there was only 2 days left until the use by date ! I bought 4 packs and froze them all. MM said it tasted good... And he normally doesn't eat 'messed around' food - so I'm assuming thats a good thing !

Also... I have never photographed food before so please excuse the quality of the photographs... I'm sure with experience it will go from crap to less crap in no time.

Maybe.

Chicken & Tomato Casserole

5 Chicken Wings
5 Chicken Legs (in fact any chicken joints will do)

1 cup of uncooked Rice
1 Onion
2 tins chopped Tomatoes
1 large teaspoon minced Garlic (comes in a jar for emergencies or when you are too tired to cook properly!) or 3 cloves of chopped Garlic if you prefer

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon ground Cayenne Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
Freshly ground Pepper to taste

1. In a frying pan lightly fry the rice and chopped onion until it is very slightly browned.

2. Add the garlic, tomatoes, salt, cayenne pepper and pepper.

3. Lay the chicken pieces in the bottom of a large oven proof casserole dish.

4. Pour the tomato sauce over the chicken pieces evenly.



















5. Cook in an oven at about 190C or 400F, for around 1.5 hours until the chicken is falling off the bones.

This is great served with jacket potatoes (baked) and lashings of butter...

No comments:

Post a Comment