Welcome To Wild Cottage

Recipes, wild food, natural remedies, organic gardening, Irish music, eating and thoughts on life in general

Sunday 31 January 2010

My New Garden Visitor - A Jay

I have a new daily visitor to my garden - Garrulus glandarius hibernicus - an Irish Jay.
This is the name of the Irish Jay. It is slightly different than the British Jay and the Continental Jay. It is a bit darker in the pink colouring than both, with the Continental Jay being the lightest pink.



He (or she) comes to visit all day every day now. The first visit was about 3 or 4 weeks ago, when I only saw the bird fleetingly maybe once a day. Now he is here almost all the time, either sat in my trees watching me or helping himself to nuts, seeds or scraps from my old wall.


He is becoming more confident every day - I wonder just how tame he will become. It's weird, but the cats seem to ignore him mostly - maybe it's because he is quite big.

Hmmm




This is one set of feeders containing peanuts and seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment