This is a great fudge to make for Christmas presents, and everyone always loves homemade pressies.
If you can find pretty boxes or baskets to put it in, even better. Ribbons and tissue paper add to the luxury feeling if you can find those too.
I have loads of fudge, chocolates and other sweet recipes, and I will post a few in the run up to Christmas in case anyone wants to save money and make gorgeous presents for family and friends.
Vanilla, Chocolate and Walnut Fudge
1.5 lbs granulated white Sugar
2 ozs Butter
1 tin Condensed Milk (a 397g tin)
150 ml Water
2 tablespoons grated Milk Chocolate
2 tablespoons very finely chopped Walnuts
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1. Prepare a tin for the fudge by greasing it with butter (not the 2ozs for the fudge). A 6" or 6.5" square tin is perfect.
2. Put the water, the condensed milk, the butter and the sugar into a saucepan.
3. Heat this on a low heat, gently, and remember to keep stirring it. Keep at this until the sugar is all dissolved and the butter has melted in.
4. Turn the heat up to about medium. Bring the mixture to the boil, still stirring all the time.
5. Boil it until it reaches the 'soft ball' stage (detailed below).
6. Remove the fudge from the heat when it reaches this stage.
7. Add the grated chocolate, the walnuts bits and the vanilla extract to the fudge mix.
8. Beat this in hard until the mixture becomes a bit grainy (thick and creamy).
9. At this point pour the fudge into the tin. Leave it to cool somewhere safe.
10. When it is almost cold, cut the fudge into squares. Then leave it to finish getting cold.
11. Once it is totally cold you can remove it from the tin.
Either enjoy and eat it ! Or give it away as pressies !
It will last about 3 weeks easily.