This is one delicious cake !
And moist - I hate dry cakes.
And good for you... no sugar and loads of dried fruit, honey and orange juice...
For an even less sugary version, try replacing the honey with a well mashed ripe banana.
Means you can eat more hmmm
Sugar-Free Fruit Cake
3 ozs dried Apricots (chopped)
3 ozs Dates (chopped)
2.5 ozs Glacé Cherries (candied) (halved)
3.5 ozs Raisins
12 oz plain Flour (all purpose)
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon ground Mixed Spice (allspice)
4.5 ozs Butter
4 fl oz Milk
2 Eggs (beaten)
Grated rind of 1 Orange
6 tablespoons Orange Juice
3 tablespoons runny Honey (or 1 mashed ripe banana)
1. Put the flour, baking powder and mixed spice in a bowl and mix.
2. Cut the butter into small pieces, add it to the bowl and rub it all in between your fingers. This eventually makes a kinda fine breadcrumb texture.
3. Next stir in the apricots, dates, cherries, raisins, milk, beaten eggs, grated orange rind and the orange juice.
4. Stir in the honey and mix it all together until it is soft and squishy.
5. Spoon the mixture into a lined 8 inch round baking tin. Level off the surface.
6. Cook in an oven at 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4 (preheated of course). Bake for about 1 hour, until a thin skewer poked into the middle comes out clean.
7. Let the cake cool in the pan before removing it and turning it out.