Well here it is - the day that most of Ireland spends doing fun stuff... and I'm feeling left out !
So, what is required is a little self love and a lot of pandering with lush goodies. I have tomatoes, runner beans and courgettes to spare, which somewhat limits my choice of to die for edibles. So I'm back to an old favourite, Chocolate Courgette Cake.
I know you are going to think YUK and mega YUK, but trust me, this is one moist, chocolatey and delicious cake. And apart from trying to avoid getting blood from your knuckles in the mix, its fun and easy to make...
Besides, with that sexy dark brown chocolate colour a bit of blood will never show...
Chocolate Courgette Cake
(or if you are in the US or Australia - Chocolate Zucchini Cake)
120g Butter (softened)
125 ml Extra virgin olive oil
100g Castor sugar
200g Demerera sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
130 ml Milk
350g Organic wholemeal spelt flour
2 tsp Baking powder
4 tablespoons Cadbury's drinking chocolate
450 g Courgettes, peeled and grated finely
1 teaspoon organic Vanilla extract
(most of my ingredients are organic)
1. Line a 8" x 13" baking tray with baking (greaseproof) paper and set the oven to 190C or 350F.
2. Mix the butter, olive oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.
4. Throw the dry ingredients in and fold them into the mixture.
5. Stir in the grated courgettes (peeled) and the vanilla extract and then spoon the mixture into the baking tin.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes.
7. Cut into squares whilst still warm.
I would love to hear from you as to what you think of this recipe so please feel free to send a comment.
Also, if you aren't sure about the measurements or ingredient names ever, the same applies as I am always willing to help a fellow foodie. Alternatively my email is firstname.lastname@example.org